All of Silicon Valley's most successful businessmen/women has one thing in common: their Montessori educational background. To me it seems like it's the best offer to learn and grow in the best way possible. I'm so envious. I've always been envious of people growing up in California especially on those in The Bay Area. The weather, the culture, the mentality and even the schools are better. Why the heck was I born in Norway? Where is that logic from? Well. Can't do anything about it. I'd like to see my future kids to grow up there though. I'm not sure that will ever be a possibility but.. I'll keep hoping. Meanwhile it's good to know that there are other opportunities cause the Montessori school is found here in Oslo as well.
But what is Montessori?
The Montessori is a school you can attend from a toddler age throughout high school.
Wikipedia describes it like this "The Montessori education is a system of education for young children that seeks to develop natural interests and activities rather than use formal teaching methods."
It is specialized to follow the kids natural curiosity and learn from there. Every child is unique and thus the education is. The education has seven pillars of self-directed learning:
7. Lifelong Learning
So.. There most be something to it when all of the examples mentioned below are Montessori graduates.
- Larry Page and Sergei Brin, the founders of Google
- Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon
- Will Wright, the inventor of best-selling video games series “The Sims”
- Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia
- Thomas Edison, the American inventor
- Other prominent people who went through Montessori education include Taylor Swift and Beyonce Knowles, celloist Yo-Yo Ma, legendary management guru Peter Drucker, actor George Clooney, illusionist David Blaine, author Helen Keller, techno-philosopher Jason Silva and English royals Prince William and Prince Harry.
Below is a describing video of difference between conventional school and the Montessori.
It's such genius that it should've been embraced by the whole wide world long time ago.
If you want to dig deeper into the story behind it here is a documentary about the amazing woman behind the concept.